BOMBAY DIARIES - CHAPTER 05

#Chapter 05: A sense of belonging


"I feel as if I don't belong here."
All of us have uttered these words atleast once for sure.
What makes us say that we feel like belonging to a place or even to a group of people. It is the oneness, the commonality, the level of  comfort we tend to feel by being at a place  or with people, and when these requirements fall short, we don't feel like belonging to that place or people.

This sense of belonging should not be mistaken with one's comfort zone.
A comfort zone is not only defined by the sense of belonging, it has other aspects too.

One of the struggles I faced after coming to Mumbai, was trying to fit in or belong to this new metropolitan city culture, groups of varied people, a host of different lifestyles, and people with poles apart opinions and many more new elements.

And being here as a mass media student, looking for this sense of belonging became all the more tough. The college festival culture has been one of it. During these inter-collegiate fests, it was very natural for me to get lost amidst the music beats and the busy set of people around me. Sometimes the stuffs they discussed felt alien to me and made me feel detached and distant to them.

And that's when I got to learn that the sense of belonging cannot be craved, it needs to be accepted after due observations.
Stepping out of comfort zone is the first step one could take and then to belong to the new arena ahead, is what marks a successful decision.
 I began to hangout with people of my choice to understand their approaches and their perspectives which could have a way with mine and that is how I managed to find myself 4 or so close friends to belong with.

A sense of belonging is created out of the will to fit in for our ease in the society. Let us not make this belonging our only source of identity.
Step beyond the comfort,
Look for the sense of belonging!
---- Chapter 05 ends ----

So, this need of belonging made me look for loveliest bunch of people who give me a new perspective, a new aim and a new life everytime I stay with them.


A big thank you
To all of you,
You all create a home away from home!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quotes and Anecdotes - 5

Revival of Redrosewrites!